Discussion regarding feeding FlightAssistant with maps and aviation data
rjmusto
Device(s): motoG
Flying activity: Plane
Machines: C172P

New user in Slovenia - some observations

Post by rjmusto » 05 Mar 2017, 15:16

Hi all,
New user here with a few comments and questions. First though, I add my thanks to all for a great app; have not yet had the opportunity to try it in flight, but am looking forward to it.

I am based in Slovenia and have a few observations:

The Slovenian airspace boundary has gaps in it, to Croatia in the south, Italy in the west and Austria in the north. It is shown correctly on the web planning app, but not on my Android devices.

I have also found that the information on openAIP for Slovenia was quite out of date, so have spent a bit of time updating this. My home airfield for example, LJBL is not just a glider field with a grass strip these days. So I guess the changes will cycle through eventually. Which brings me to the first question:
how do I update the locally stored maps (apart from deleting and re-installing)? I've read about Document Refreshing, but can't seem to find that anywhere.

I have also pulled together a text file with all the VFR Reporting Points for Slovenia which I am happy to pass on : Dropbox link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/e78vrczju1z8q ... P.TXT?dl=0
(how do I attach a file to a post?)
And if anybody plans to fly here, it might be worth noting that Slovenia Control insist that these named points are used in a Flight Plan - they will not accept co-ordinates.

So, second question; is it possible to get User Wayponts to synchronise across devices and onto the web planning app? I haven't managed to get that - but can't plan out a route locally without them.

Thanks,
Ralph

jmcazaux
Site Admin
Device(s): Motorola X Play / Nexus 9
Machines: DR400, C172, C182

Re: New user in Slovenia - some observations

Post by jmcazaux » 05 Mar 2017, 18:25

Hi Ralph,
welcome an many thanks for your kind comments!

First, if the airspace is correct on the web, it means the data is correct (good!) and it is only a matter of settings on the Android app.

Did you try to fiddle a bit the airspace display preferences in the moving map page ?
You can show/hide airspaces on a class/type basis.

This stated, we do not show country boundaries. If Slovenia has FIRs or UIs that follow all its borders, it will display a border, but it might as well be incomplete.

Regarding the data now, we are not using OpenAIP for Slovenia (AFAIR).
We are using Eurocontrol data enhanced with OurAirports for the missing bits. Lets us know if you make changes there as by default, the data is only generated at each AIRAC cycle.

Thanks a lot for the reporting points, they are always an issue, we will get them integrated in the server database so that they can be available for everyone interested.

Unfortunately, no it is not possible to synchronize user waypoints across devices or to the web (was presenting a risk with data size as some user do import a LOT of points).

Hope this helps,
JM
Jean-Michel
LFMT / Motorola XPlay & Nexus 9 2015

rjmusto
Device(s): motoG
Machines: C172P

Re: New user in Slovenia - some observations

Post by rjmusto » 05 Mar 2017, 22:09

Hi JM,
Thanks for the reply.

I have found that I need to have the Class E,F or G option ticked to get these boundaries displayed. So thanks for the nudge on that one. It may be a finer point, but these areas are only Class E from 2500 - 7500ft and are Class D from 7500ft - FL195, so should probably be shown even without this option included... They are certainly FIR boundaries.

For the data, I have checked OurAirports and it is correct there, but haven't been able to dig my way into Eurocontrol to see what they have. But at the moment LJBL is shown on FA as just a grass strip, where it really has a long asphalt runway. Small point I know, but it is my home field!

And ok on the user points.

Thanks again,
Ralph