Raster Map Support in FA2

Discussion regarding feeding FlightAssistant with maps and aviation data
redvettericci
Device(s): ASUS Zen 8.0
Flying activity: Plane
Machines: C172

Raster Map Support in FA2

Post by redvettericci » 26 Jan 2017, 15:57

Hi, I am using FA1 since its first releases and now upgraded to FA2 (ultimate subscription).
FA1 made me very happy and I built an inventory of custom raster maps (Maptiler,...).
My question refers to the following post:
Re: Raster Maps on FA2

Postby jmcazaux » 23 May 2016, 18:12
Hi PilotC172,
the support for raster maps will remain, though we will try to improve it.

We might try to offer device synchronisation (you would upload your map to your account, it will be synced to all your devices) and even tiling (you upload the ecw or geotiff file, the tiled map is synchronized to your devices).

I hope this answers your questions,
JM
Is there any progress in this topic or is there a way to use my raster maps in FA2 already available?
I tried to copy my raster maps in the MAPS directory of FA2, but no way to get them displayed in the app.
If there is a way to import, could you explain how to do?

Thanks
Richard

jmcazaux
Site Admin
Device(s): Motorola X Play / Nexus 9
Machines: DR400, C172, C182

Re: Raster Map Support in FA2

Post by jmcazaux » 26 Jan 2017, 18:59

Hi Richard,
raster maps are definitely supported by Flight Assistant (a subscription plan is needed though, check differences here).

To activate them, you need to copy the MBTile file to the flightassistantNG/maps directory and then go to "My Account > Manage user maps".
If they appear there, they will be available in the moving map (go to the layers button).
Jean-Michel
LFMT / Motorola XPlay & Nexus 9 2015

redvettericci
Device(s): ASUS Zen 8.0
Machines: C172

Post by redvettericci » 27 Jan 2017, 13:36

Thank you for clarification, could get the maps displayed by using the *.MBTile Format. FA1 was working the Folder style maps too, so I have to convert my files which is not a big deal.

Another question is now raised:

I downloaded OFM- Maps (wich are very very usefull for me) for Austria and Slovenia, and can switch them on in the Overlay- Managment, but
only one can be displayed by using the checkboxes, multiple checkbox selection is not possible on my device. On the borders of the OFM map
there is only a very minimized content of the underlaying vector map visible.
Can you exlplain if this is an error or is there any logic behind that behavour?
Switching overlays on and off for seamless display is not what I would expect for user comfort!

Thanks
Richard

jmcazaux
Site Admin
Device(s): Motorola X Play / Nexus 9
Machines: DR400, C172, C182

Post by jmcazaux » 27 Jan 2017, 14:38

Hi Richard,

having to switch between maps if not ideal indeed, but this is the case for "internal" OFM maps.
Those internal maps are really made to be "no brainer" and very simple to use.

We are only having one active at a time because it saves CPU (and battery life).
in a basic scenario, we do not want the user tyo have to think about switching off other maps when they are not needed.

So basically, when you have one internal (full coverage) raster map active, all other maps are deactivated (raster and vectors).

I am not sure I am explaining this clearly, but in a nutshell, this behaviour fits 97% (or 99%) of the users.

Two important notes:
- to us raster maps are really a second choice. We think that vector maps are really superior and much better suited to an electronic device. We propose the raster option because some user really want them, but we feel this is something from the past
- if you want to use more than one MBTile at a time, you can "force" it, but not with the internal maps. What you can do is download the MBTiles from the OFM site and use them as "user maps"; Then you have the option to have more than one active at a time (but you have to manage the activity of vector maps, make sure you do not have too many active at the same time and so on). It will require a bit more tuning on your behalf, but it is an option.
Jean-Michel
LFMT / Motorola XPlay & Nexus 9 2015