Discussion regarding feeding FlightAssistant with maps and aviation data
bluesky
Device(s): Asus Zenpad 3s & LG G6
Flying activity: Plane
Machines: From Sailplane to A340-600

US Charts

Post by bluesky » 24 Nov 2016, 22:00

Hello JM,

the FAA has all US enroute, terminal and other charts freely available - is there a way to use those with Flight Assistant - would be great if it works, I can help with testing if you want,

happy landings, Dominik

jmcazaux
Site Admin
Device(s): Motorola X Play / Nexus 9
Machines: DR400, C172, C182

Re: US Charts

Post by jmcazaux » 04 Dec 2016, 17:34

Hi Dominik,
sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for your kind offer, but with very limited bandwidth we have focus on Europe first.

We need to prove our business model as well before we think expansion.

This stated, I would be interested in you opinion re Germany if you know the flying habits over there a bit.

germany is the European country with the most pilots (twice as many as in France) yet we have relatively few users over there, let alone subscribers.

If you would have any opinion on why this is, we would be very interested to hear from you.

Maybe there is something key missing from the app for German pilots, maybe the flying habits are slightly different and there is a "cultural" gap ?

That would be very interesting to get on "insider" (or almost ;) opinion.

Many thanks,
Jean-Michel
LFMT / Motorola XPlay & Nexus 9 2015

bluesky

Post by bluesky » 04 Dec 2016, 20:04

... just sent me an personal email to dominik_kopp@yahoo.de to discuss your question,

best wishes, Dominik

bluesky

Post by bluesky » 11 Dec 2016, 16:46

Hi Jean-Michel,

regarding US Charts, I just would like if I could overlay the charts - the FAA freely distributes all charts, so it might just be a question of integration...you find them e.g. here https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_ ... _products/,

looking forward to hearing from you, posted you also an email start of Dec....

happy christmas time,

Dominik

jmcazaux
Site Admin
Device(s): Motorola X Play / Nexus 9
Machines: DR400, C172, C182

Post by jmcazaux » 13 Dec 2016, 08:11

Hi Dominik,
sorry, I did not understand that you expected an answer to your mail, I'll come back to you.

As long as you have a subscription, you can use what we have now called "user maps".

You "just" need to convert the FAA maps to MBTiles (there are a few options to do this depending on the OS you use and your IT proficiency).
We used to use MapTiler *Beta* (it was free at the time) but I am not sure it would still work on today's OS.

Put the map into the flightassistantNG/maps directory and you will have a map for the US.

Now in terms of Flight Assistant officially supporting thee US as a country this is a slightly different kettle of fish.
When we support a country we provide much more than raster maps (vector maps, official aeronautical data, terrain elevation model, to name the most important).

We are not at a stage to support the US yet, but maybe it will come.

A very happy Christmas time to you as well.
Jean-Michel
LFMT / Motorola XPlay & Nexus 9 2015